Monday, November 24, 2008

Stand Tall and Walk


I don't think we quite expected Dylan to start walking this past weekend. For a few weeks or so now, he has been standing. He would hang on to stuff and cruise then let go. Then, he would get nervous and hang on again. If Bill or I are in front of him, he would hurl himself at us and start giggling, looking amused with himself.

Then he got more and more comfy with the standing and would even drink out of his sippy while standing. Great balancing trick that lasts a few seconds, head tilted back and going to town on the watery juice or soy milk. Then he would sit back down and finish the contents of the cup.

This past week, he decided he could take a step or two himself. We thought it was so cute that he was trying. He would do it only if we were right in front of him because that way, after the step or 2, he would reach out and throw himself at us again.




On Saturday, his lightbulb seemed to come on and he decided it was time to get more serious about this walking business. Little man kept trying all day. He would get to 2 steps consistently and this time, he would fall forward or back on his tushie. A few times, he did 3 or 4. I figured at least he was no longer hurling himself because a few times, he was a little short and had we not reached out in time, his little Kyrgyz nose may get even flatter.

We went to a baby shower on Saturday evening. Dylan was quite the charmer and was smiling and babbling away. You know what else he decided to do? Walk a few more steps on his own. I think he knows what a pleaser one or 2 steps were with mom and dad so if he did 3 or 4 or 5, imagine what the crowd would do? So there he was, showing off and laughing the whole time.


And Sunday, well, you know how the story goes. We were at Auntie Kay's house and munchkin man made it about a couple of feet. He was walking towards me and I kept backing up and he kept coming. Now, the real babyproofing job is at hand. Goodbye corners, hello foam pads.

And just for fun, here is Dylan getting his second haircut, eating an apple, eating half a raw zucchini and looking guilty after he spilled a tub of cookies on the floor, reading a book, and just random photos from everyday life.








4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hoooray for Dylan! I love all the pictures, but I think my favorite is the last one. Male bonding is so cute!

Karen D said...

Those look like cat cookies!!! Are they cat cookies??? I am sssoooo jealous. I miss Trader Joes.
Karen

Unknown said...

You know Beckett just POOF started walking on day. No real cruising or anything just up and decided that walking was all the rage. Weird.

Now you are going to have to babyproof as with walking goes climbing and exploring!

Dylan is such a cutie! I love the pic with the apple!

Margaret and Tom said...

Yeah! Love the pictures...I am way behind on my blog reading so forgive me...but I caught up with all your posts. Dylan's mannerisms and some facial expressions remind me so much of Milana's. I love the post of the TJ "samples" and shopping...I will have to try that...Milana won't sit long either while shopping! Why didn't I think of the snack thing?