Friday, May 23, 2008

Going Freakazoid With A Big Smile

I have never in my life spent 4 days packing, shopping, repacking, shopping, checking off a list, shopping, repacking... you get the picture.

I am utterly exhausted yet I have the biggest smile on my face! There are all sorts of crazy emotions that keep running through me and I am just going for the ride. I worry about the flight and if I get there on time. I worry that I will get to Tokmok and will not be allowed to see Dylan. I worry that my husband won't get his flight preferences. I worry that I will gain weight sitting on a plane. I know, I am a freakazoid but I am happy to admit it.

I must have just been so overwhelmed this last couple of weeks. Ever since I booked my flight (even before knowing we can take Dylan home on the same trip), I've been going 1000 miles an hour trying to get EVERYTHING on this wanna be exhaustive list done. I tried to tie all the loose ends at work so that I don't leave anyone in the dark. I made a list of things I had to buy for this trip. I arranged all the necessary documents for single parent pickup only to get the good news on Monday that we can actually pick him up. So, back to the first version of paperwork I went. Last weekend was also jam packed with activity. Kayaking on Saturday, running Bay to Breakers on Sunday. Well, all this came with steep price. I LOST MY WEDDING RINGS AND I AM TRULY BUMMED ABOUT THAT!!! I put the rings in my pocket on Saturday because carrying kayaks with rings digging into your hand just hurt too much. I took them off and put them in my shorts pocket. Then I changed out of them out in the parking lot and probably dropped them there. I can't recall who said this to me but it went along the line of "that's ok, you lost your rings but you are getting a baby". I guess that person is right. Even though the rings have tremendous sentimental value, it is no match to the fact that a month from now, he'll be home.

The outpouring of love is incredible. I guess I sometimes forget that I'm not in my own little world all by myself. There are so many people who have been waiting for Dylan to come home, even people I don't know and have never met. My co-worker's husband, another co-worker's mom, my blog friends are always asking about Dylan. My friends are also only slightly less excited than me. The day I posted the good news, I got several instant comments, emails and phone calls. Both Bill and my family are going bonkers about the news. They are all rooting for this kid to come home to his forever family. I am just stunned at the community around me.

Our friend Lamar made me a care package and gave it to me over my last sushi dinner for a very long time (oh yes, I worry about that too). It had all sorts of goodies like chocolates, trail mix, tuna, wasabi peas, red vine, dried fruits, etc. etc. I just love her. I will think of her when I eat good chocolates instead of crappy airplane food. She is excited for us and this adventure and we are thrilled to have her to share this with also.

So before I go to bed on this last night before I fly out, I contemplate this journey and where we have been. It has been a long road to Dylan but all that doesn't seem to matter now. I have a huge smile on my face and my heart is all a twitter knowing that our journey with Dylan is just beginning. Good night everyone. Until the next post from Kyrgyzstan...

9 comments:

Margaret and Tom said...

We did have Sushi on our breakfast bar at the Golden Dragon. I was not brave enough to eat it, but Tom did with no reprocussions...he said it was ok. I am so happy as I write this you are on your way, probably trying to stomach crappy airplane food...happy mom's day to you a little late, can't wait to see those smiles when you post Dylan pics :)

Lisa Brotherton said...

I am so happy for you, Ivy. Can't wait to see you guys together!
I am sorry about your rings. We are so attached to our syntamental items and none more so that a wedding ring. But, as your friend said in comparison to what you are gaing this week... WOW! Our children are our real treasures! I am thankful you are going to gather yours!!! Godspeed!

Gen 's Family Story said...

Woo hoo, can't wait to hear from you from Kyrgyz!! My hubby lost his wedding ring the first trip we went to the boundary waters, went swimming in the cooler water and it slipped right off his hand into the deep blue lake...
So happy for you, and I freaked just like you did:)

Gen 's Family Story said...

ps be glad you went kayaking, it might be awhile till you go again!

Michele said...

We are so happy for you. Your trip has been a long time coming, but it is so good to take. Love every moment & love that baby with all your heart. I can't wait to see your photos. I bet he has grown so big. Take care!
Have a safe trip!!!

Suzanne said...

I'm smiling reading this post, Ivy! I'm guessing you're in Tokmok by now. I hope all the flights went well and that your luggage arrived at the same time you did. Can't wait for your next post!

-Suzanne

Lisa Brotherton said...

Ivy, I hope John can help you get your internet soon! We can hardly wait for an update!
I want you to know we are thinking about you and Dylan!

Monica said...

Oh my that STINKS about your RINGS. I'm sorry that happened to you. You should get to have your rings AND your baby but I do understand that such a loss couldn't have happened at a happier time for you. Wishing you a safe, easy and happy journey to and from Kyrgyzstan. I'm one of those strangers out here SO looking forward to you bringing your baby home. I just can't wait to see pics of him with you at HOME!
Best wishes!!!
Monica

Anonymous said...

I am go happy for you Ivy and Bill. Your post brought tears to my eyes. We cant wait to see Dylan back at home. Wishing you my very best.

Rashell Fong